2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (NIV 1978)
Recipe for Revival – A revival is a period of renewed religious attention, interest and popularity. The word revival infers that something is dead or dying. Religious or Christian revival presupposes that the Church and its environment are in desperate need of a fresh breath of God’s Spirit to awaken it from its slumber.
- If – Indicates that something must happen before another thing can happen. that something is not certain. It could happen or not happen.
- My people, called by My Name – People that God has taken to Himself as a possession and having dominion over. The people who are responsible for carrying out the Great Commission.
- Will humble themselves – Not proud, haughty, arrogant or assertive. Reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission. Unpretentious.
- Pray – To speak to God especially in order to give thanks, to ask for something or repent.
- Seek My Face – To go in search of, to look for, to try to discover.
- Turn – To cause (something) to face an opposite or different direction.
- From Wicked Ways – Morally that which is very bad or evil.
The Results Are Extraordinary
- God will hear.
- God will forgive.
- God will heal.
My Musing – It would seem that the cure of society’s ills is dependent (if) upon the revival (humble, pray, seek, turn) of the Church (people called by HIs name).
My Advice – I am reminded of a verse from a song that was popular in my youth. “it only takes a spark, to get a fire going. And soon all in its reach, are warmed up by its glowing.” The Church body has many members. Individually, we can all be that spark of revival, that spreads to the whole body. Then soon, all those in our reach (the “society” we like to blame for the condition of the world), can be warmed up by our glowing. Jesus told us we were the light of the world. Let’s start shining brighter and drive away the darkness.