My Musings – The above verse is a conditional statement. Conditional statements contain a hypothetical (if) and a consequence (then) when the conditions of the hypothetical are met.
If – Something(s) that must happen:
- My people, called by My name – In the context of the above verse, this was Israel. Today, we could apply it to the Church.
- Will humble themselves – Freed from pride and arrogance. An expression of deference or submission.
- Pray – To speak to God especially in order to give thanks or to ask for something.
- Seek My face – To go in search of, to look for, to try to discover.
- Turn – To face an opposite or different direction.
- From Wicked Ways – Morally very bad, evil.
Then – Before something else can happen:
- I will hear – To pay attention to.
- I will forgive – Pardon, cancel a debt.
- I will heal – Correct or put right an undesirable situation.
My Advice – We often attribute the declining state of morality on society in general. Yet the above verse places the responsibility on the people of God. We know what we (the Church) need to do (if) in order for God to hear our appeal for the “land” to be healed. A verse from an old song states “that it only takes a spark to get a fire going, and soon those all around, can warm up in the glowing.” Be a spark in your local Body, then “pass it on.” We have to have a spark before we can have a fire. We have to get it going, before we can expect the glowing.